History

The Plum Point Shores Improvement Association was incorporated on May 23, 1955.

The association owns and maintains two lots on the shore for the residents of Plum Point. One holds the pavillion and playground and the other parking and small craft coatal access.

The association was established by Charles J. Reilly of Cranston, Nelson B. Swanson of Warwick, Guido Carbone of E. Providence, Alf Gabrielsen of Oaklawn, and Malcolm T. Blease of Saunderstown.

It was established as a club for “bathing and swimming, the cultivation of other recreational outdoor sports, and such other measures as are deemed to be in the best interest of this community, such as keeping the beach in a commendable condition, providing recreation for children, etc.”

The waterfront property at 64 Riptide Drive was purchased by Plum Point Shores Improvement Association on September 28, 1965 for $3,500 from Bennett L. Peters.

In Memory of Richard W. Brown.

Our pavilion tells us it was dedicated to the memory of Richard W. Brown in 1975.

Searching public records has identified the following people who were involved in keeping PPSIA running:

  • June 1985, President Marshall J. Prairie of 5 Periwinkle Dr.
  • June 1990, President Sandra Daily of Hope, RI
  • June 2019, President Amy Whitford, Treasurer Ed Passarelli

Unidentified family on Plum Point beach in 1950’s. the old Jamestown bridge is in the background.

The picture at the top is of Ann and Ted Dambruch at Plum Point, 1950.

We’ve worked with some of the best companies.